A collection of rambling posts about gaming, running, and politics. (and, in 2009, photography.)

Thursday, June 28, 2007

White Woman Syndrome

I'm certainly no news source, so I'm not breaking any ground on this story about 5 white kids killed in a fiery auto wreck.

But I will offer my two cent criticism to the media.

This is certainly tragic, but I don't know why it is headline news, listed no less than three times on the front page of CNN.com, including as the main story. Actually that's not true, I do know why its listed as the main story, as Drew Curtis from FARK pointed out, in his recent book, news media is not about giving us important news, its about giving us stuff that we want to hear/read about. And apparently, people want to read about some white kids who died in a wreck. Isn't there any other news to report on? Any politicians doing anything totally insane? Any service-people or civilians dying in American wars overseas? Any genocide going on?

And just when I thought I'd gotten a break from news coverage about another white woman. Oh, two white women actually.

Link: Wikipedia article on Missing White Woman Syndrome.

No comments: