A collection of rambling posts about gaming, running, and politics. (and, in 2009, photography.)

Tuesday, November 7, 2006

This election thing is such bullshit.

I make no secret about my political views. I'm fairly left on alot of issues, but I am not registered as a Democrat.. because I do not want to be. I don't want to go "vote Democrat". See.. we've got two choices really, Republicans and Democrats. Republicans are (usually) the bible-thumping, anti-abortion, anti-gay marriage, pro-war, etc etc etc group. Democrats are (usually) the bible-thumping, in-the-middle-on-the-abortion-issue, anti-gay marriage, kinda-undecided-on-this-war-thing, etc etc, group. Firstly, I hate our political system. I dont have any better plans, but that doesnt mean I cant say that it sucks. We have a two party system, oh and the occasional third-guy-in-a-race-who-just-ends-up-taking-votes-away-from-the-guy-who-has-similar-views-and-is-usually-the-democratic -candidate. I am kinda pissed off at the office of the president right now (yes, obviously the man in it, but the office itself as well), because I am not for the stance of the nation being pretty much decided by one guy. We've proven how much of a fiasco that can be.

What I'm really current steamed about is that I don't know who to vote for. Here is the page on dontvote.com for my House of Representatives district. Roger Wicker (R), check, I know who he is. His opposition? Ken Hurt (D). I have no fucking clue who this guy is. Lets check and see what he stands for, what is his take on the issues? Check here. Okay wait, save yourself some time. His handy dandy flash page has an "about ken hurt" link. Guess what you get? Well, okay, go check it out. According to that, he has gotten money for highways, hospitals, ports, small vegetable farmers, and the blind. That's where he stands. So why the fuck do I want to vote for him? Why can't we maybe have an election with cantidates who represent things, or ideas, or opinions? Bleh. The fight in Tennessee between Harold Ford, Jr, and Bob Coker has apparently been a non-stop mud-throwing fest. I've caught a little of it, and it makes me feel like if I wanted to find out what either candidate stood for, I'd need to listen to the other guy's mud-slinging ads. I don't want to vote for the candidate who kills the fewest cute puppies before breakfast.

Also, I live in Mississippi, so I suppose I have to have a certain amount of acceptance for this, but I hate seeing plastered across a potential candidate's web page "BOY I SURE DO LOVE THE BABY JESUS, MAY HE BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY AND LET US WIN THIS ELECTION" or some such (dramatic license taken, but still). For a nation that has a separation of church and state, we sure can't seem to get this puppy out of church.

So, I am terribly sad to say that I am going to go vote this afternoon for the people who's names I do not know, but who have a (D) by their name, because that means that they (probably) didn't kill as many puppies this morning before breakfast. And I'd rather have them in office.. I guess...

No comments: