A collection of rambling posts about gaming, running, and politics. (and, in 2009, photography.)

Monday, February 5, 2007

Some people aren't just crazy

No, some people are fucking crazy.

Back in December, our small international sales department was out to hire administrative person to handle things like shipping and invoicing and numbers and so on and so on. Our international Sales Manager, who we'll call Fred, sat down and interviewed some people, then made a decision and hired a guy. So the guy starts, and works Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, then calls in sick on Thursday. And on Friday. By Friday evening, Fred had already pulled out all of the applications he'd gotten previously, as he was done with his sickly new hire, who we'll call Andrew. Apparently come Monday, Andrew emailed Fred to let him know that he was quitting, or was not interested in the job. I got this second hand- but I think that Andrew said that he'd found another job or something. Well a week passes, and Andrew contacts Fred and asks him for his job back. Fred told him no, that he'd already hired someone else. Apparently, during Andrew's three days on the job, Fred lent him some books related to the industry, so that Andrew could learn a little about his new job. So here are the emails between Fred and Andrew.

-----------

From: Fred
Sent: Friday, December 15, 2006 9:56 AM
To: Andrew
Subject: RE: Need job back

Dear Andrew,

Please return the books you borrowed from me as soon as possible. You can feel free to FedEx them to our office at [our address], or deliver them, but I need them back right away.

Please let me know how you would like to take care of this.

Thank you.
Fred

---

From: Andrew
Sent: Friday, December 15, 2006 1:26 PM
To: Fred
Subject: RE: Request for books

Hi Fred,

Yes I still do have the books. I just accepted a new position as an International Sales Manager starting Monday so I will not be able to run them by.

Since the books were provided to me as training material, [company] will be responsible for shipping costs. Please provide me with your Fed Ex account number and I will be happy to go by a Fed Ex Kinko center and ship them to you.

Thanks,

Andrew

---

From: Fred
Sent: Friday, December 15, 2006 4:32 PM
To: Andrew
Subject: RE: Request for books

Andrew,

Considering the amount of inconvenience you have caused me personally and our office over that past two weeks, I figure picking up the tab on the FEDEX shipment would be the least you could do. After all, you didn't even show up on Monday to tell us you were quitting. You should have returned the books at that time.

And by the way, they were my books (not the company's) which I loaned you to help you get acquainted with wood. I would have expected you to return them out of professional courtesy.

I will leave it up to you to you as to how you want to handle the payment. If you insist on not paying the freight charges, then call me on my cell when you get to FEDEX KINKOS and give the phone to the clerk. I will give him or her my credit card information over the phone. I cannot give you our company billing number. Then please forward me the tracking number.

Thank you.

Fred

---

From: Andrew
Sent: Sunday, December 17, 2006 5:01 PM
To: Fred
Subject: RE: Request for books

Fred,

Thanks for your reply. I didn’t cause anyone an inconvenience because I had a good reason for not showing up. I was sick with a 102 degree fever! What was I supposed to do? Have someone drive me to your workplace. A 1.5 to 2 hour roundtrip from [town] so I could resign and return books in person? That is a very insincere thought.

Regardless, this was a very undiplomatic e-mail you sent. All you had to say were that they were your personal books and I would have mailed them to you.

If you are using the books as training material then it is the responsibility of the company to pay for shipping if they are needed back.

My original offer stands.

---

Apparently at this point, Fred spoke with Andrew via the phone, and Andrew agree'd to ship them.


From: Fred
Sent: Monday, February 05, 2007 10:03 AM
To: Andrew
Subject: RE: Request for books

Please send the books to the following address.

[address of company]

Thank you.

Fred

---

From: Andrew
Sent: Monday, February 05, 2007 10:35 AM
To: Fred
Subject: RE: Request for books

I was going to send them but unfortunately, I can’t find them……it’s funny how an insensitive tone of voice can misplace things. Sorry!

---

From: Andrew
Sent: Monday, February 05, 2007 11:58 AM
To: Fred
Subject: FW: Request for books

Oops…I just seen them go into the dumpster….sorry bout that. Guess I wont be able to mail them to you. Have a good life.

---

From: Andrew
Sent: Monday, February 05, 2007 1:53 PM
To: Fred
Subject: FW: Request for books


Oh darn Fred…I just seen them get shredded…I’m sure they make more of those books. :)

---

That was the last we heard - today - and I've put Andrew's email on our mail server black-list. What a kook.

No comments: