A collection of rambling posts about gaming, running, and politics. (and, in 2009, photography.)

Monday, May 7, 2007

Shows with good conflict always make me think of role playing

Just like I said, shows with good conflict always make me think of role playing. Particularly some of the stuff on HBO, like the Sopranos, Big Love, Entourage, Deadwood, Carnivale, and FX shows like Rescue Me and The Riches.

They make me think of good role playing that is driven by the characters and their stories. Think about it! Those are shows that largely do not revolve around killing tons of orcs or dragons, and don't even necessarily feature PCs that are supremely powerful demigods, forcing their will upon the land. Instead, mostly those shows rock because they have compelling characters, and powerful stories. They thrive on the relations between the characters, and the conflicts among those characters.

When I talked ranted about characters/players in D&D games a few posts back, I think what I was trying to say is hinted at here. Why can't there be tons of cool games that I'm running and playing in that are like this stuff? I need to play some Sorcerer.

Oh, I ran 3 miles this evening. And it was good!

No comments: