A collection of rambling posts about gaming, running, and politics. (and, in 2009, photography.)

Monday, January 15, 2007

language relics

An odd observation this evening.

The kinds of random things that I think about while going to bed and trying to go to sleep. This time it was odd enough that I have gotten up to blog it.

Language relics. I read a wikipedia article on it awhile back.

For some reason, the "ight" with a silent "gh" struck me.

Words with silent "gh" in "ight" (off the top of my head): Sight, might, right, tight, slight, fright, flight, light, night, blight, fight.

Words that dropped the "gh", or don't have it, anyway: kite, smite, trite, bite.

I shall resolve to try to find the wiki article on such things. I believe things like this are relics of our language when everything had an "e" on the end, and there were random, extra "h"'s throughout our words.

And now I'm going back to bed.

No comments: