A collection of rambling posts about gaming, running, and politics. (and, in 2009, photography.)

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Observations of an almost-31-year-old

I've never been very intimidated about the prospect of growing older. Through my twenties, each birthday came and went without me being concerned about being older. I didn't feel any older.

But I'm a little intimidated by birthday # 31. I haven't been "in my twenties" for a year now, and when I think about it, I think I miss it a little. Not that there was anything that I had or did not have in my twenties, that I am now correspondingly bereft of or possessing. Its more of a title I suppose. It means I'm still meant I was a spring chicken, instead of being easily old enough to be the father of an elementary school student.

I think this one bothers me because I do feel a little older. And I look a little older. It seems as though I woke up after my 30th birthday and noticed dark circles under my eyes. Like, I'd never had/never noticed such a thing about myself before, certainly not consistently. But now it seems as though every morning, whether I got a full restful night's sleep or not, I've got dark bags under my eyes. And my hands cramp from time to time. Not frequently, in fact, rarely. But sometimes. Usually I think its either a vitamin thing or a tiredness thing. When I'm running regularly, I notice that if I try to do things requiring fine manipulation etc, my hands will sometimes cramp, but its happened a few times seemingly spontaneously. And my friends tell me that I've got gray hairs. Yknow, I've wondered, if I went bald, or went gray, would I do hair-growth-stuff, or dye my hair? I've certainly dyed my hair before, but its been for entertainment purposes only, not to hide my graying hair.

So anyway, as you can see, I'm full of optimism on the eve of my 31st birthday. I can say that I am looking forward to El Patron on friday night for some Chicken Quesidilas and Margaritas, and a movie or two on Saturday. We've been planning to see Smokin' Aces, though I'm a little anxious now, cause its got a 33% on Rottentomatoes. I'd also really like to see either Curse of the Golden Flower or Letters from Iwo Jima this weekend.

No comments: