A collection of rambling posts about gaming, running, and politics. (and, in 2009, photography.)

Tuesday, August 9, 2005

When my heart breaks

I feel so incredibly helpless when someone dear to me loses a loved one. As helpless as I feel, I cannot imagine their own hurt and loss. My brain scrambles for something to say or to do that might somehow help, but even as I try to be comforting, I know that nothing that I can say or do can help to make it right again. Everything I could say or do seems trivial. I have a "fix-it" complex. Forever trying to mend things with words or actions, and this is something that cannot be mended. But my heart weeps. I can only try to be the best friend I know how to be. I can be a shoulder to cry on, or an ear to listen. But I wish I could do more. I feel their pain and it breaks my heart. I can’t fully comprehend their pain, and their loss, but I can mourn with them.

To people who have lost someone that they love:
I'm so, so, so sorry. I know its ridiculous, but I desperately wish I could fix it, somehow undo the terrible terrible thing that happened and make the world right again.

No comments: