A collection of rambling posts about gaming, running, and politics. (and, in 2009, photography.)

Monday, August 4, 2008

Marathon Training, and Learning Lessons about Running in the Heat

So, because I have very little proficiency with formatting html tables and junk, here is a link to the schedule that I'm going to be working on for the St. Jude marathon in December.

http://www.marathontraining.com/marathon/m_sch_2.html

To provide a legend, Week #1 is, well, now.

By the way, it is hot around here.

I went out for a run two Sundays ago, the 27th of last month. I planned to do 8 miles. I got 5 cranked out before I was just to spent to continue running. So I walked the remaining three. It was just ridiculously hot. And it was about 10:30 or 11 in the morning, so the sun was nice and high. Made it home in time to get a heat induced migraine.

Yesterday, I set out to get a run in. Of course, I did not wait for any time that did not qualify as The Hottest Part of the Day. It was about 2pm when I set out, and I only really planned to do between 3 and 5 miles. By my turn around for 3 I was feeling pretty good, so I pressed on, and made it to the turn around for 5 miles. I headed back, and then the sun kinda opened up on me. It was somewhere between 100 and 105 degrees. Walked about a mile or a mile and a half of that. Made it back in time for a migraine, again.

So the lesson that I have learned is this: Do not run in 100 degree heat in the middle of the day. (Moron.)

This still leaves me though with needing to crank through miles and miles, and its still August here, and the weather has apparently not gotten the memo about my training schedule. There is a gym just around the corner from my house though, that does month-to-month membership. So I may do that, just until its a little more survivable outside.

No comments: