A collection of rambling posts about gaming, running, and politics. (and, in 2009, photography.)

Monday, July 30, 2007

Catchup

1. Breach
2. Running
3. Work/sleep
4. Gaming

As promised, I saw Breach. It was terrible. It one of those movies that tried to be sortof about computer stuff, and so it has the "computer people" throw around words like "IP", and "Router", and "Gigabit", and "Bandwidth". A great deal of eyerolling was done. It also features lame dialog and characters. It is based on a true story, but we all know how those "based on" things work. Next up: The Simpsons Movie

I've been a bit lax with my running and exercise. But I can honestly blame a lack of time, rather than laziness. I intend to get a run in on Wednesday, but I don't know if I'll have an opportunity before then.

So I'm working two jobs, which is mostly okay. I've put in a couple of evenings, and a Saturday. It's alright. Nothing super exciting - it's retail in a pet store, so I won't try to bore you with mundane details. However, they had me do a midnight to 6AM shift this morning (Monday). So I got an hour or two of sleep Sunday evening, went to work for 6 hours, slept for another hour, and am at work again. It kinda sucks. The kicker I think is the money. I don't mind so much, giving up some of my evening and weekend free time in return for just a little more than federal minimum wage, but I'm not so sure that I'm cool with giving up sleep, and dragging during my real job for the same low pay. And my feet hurt.

Ran some Shadowrun of Yesterday this past weekend. It went pretty dang well. There was good and bad. The good was that everyone got to be pretty involved, and it seemed to be alot of fun. I had a good time, and my players were hitting keys. The bad is that we continue to have some friction problems with my teenage player. I spoke with him after the game, trying to gently but firmly encourage him toward the behavior and so forth that I'm interested in. I don't want to come down on him in a way that completely discourages him, yet I'm more than willing to try to shape his gaming behavior in a way that benefits our group as a whole. Its a difficult situation for me. I'm not interested in just eliminating him as a player. Nor am I interested in giving him a total green light. This is - should be - a learning experience for him. I don't wanna give him boring "Here's how you're supposed to play the game" lectures, I'm trying positive reinforcement. I just need to keep working on bringing him out of and away from the "Kill all the orcs" mindset. It is classic adolescent gaming. I was there myself, and I see other folks talk about it or reference it all of the time.

Now: more coffee.

No comments: