A collection of rambling posts about gaming, running, and politics. (and, in 2009, photography.)

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Strange excercise: Mafia

Okay, I have a request for anyone who reads this.

(I have enough role playing games at the moment, thanks, but that doesn't mean that I don't bend my mind around stuff as it occurs to me. I mean c'mon, if I was more into our healthcare system, I'd TOTALLY be into the adult ADHD thing. Anyway:)

I've spent the last few days kicking around ideas for a role playing game centered on Mobsters. I posted about it a few days ago, with "alternative" mobsters, either Werewolves or Ron Edwards style Sorcerers, or even Shadowrunners.

I watched "The Sopranos", I've seen my fair share of mobster movies, and done as much reading as I can on the internet, which seems to be mostly limited to books available on amazon.com and wikipedia.

Anyway, here's what I'm after. I'm not involved in organized crime. But I sure am curious. On the off chance that I end up being able to run a game that focuses on organized crime, I would love to get some feedback from people about... well.. about what they'd do.

See.. okay well, let's say you sat down to play a game, and the guy running it said "Okay, you're a made man. You and your crew are loose as a goose, and need to create some territory and get some cash flow going. You've got zero current operations, you're starting from scratch, though of course, the boss that you'll be reporting to expects $10,000 or %20 of your take, whichever is greater, per month. You've got a small crew and a small front operation. What's your plan?"

This has struck me in such a way as to generate interest in making it some kind of online game, either a play-by-blog or play-by-email thing, but I'm not there yet, and shouldn't even be sharing that information with you.

Anyway, the whole point of this post is, as I asked: what would you do if you were playing this game?

No comments: