A collection of rambling posts about gaming, running, and politics. (and, in 2009, photography.)

Thursday, November 22, 2007

Dear Advertisers,

Dear Advertisers,

I do like pizza, but your pizza will not make my family love me more.

Buying your SUV is not the smartest decision that I can make.

I do not need to purchase the newest flavor of cell phone, once every three months.

I will not buy into this years newest clothing fashion, because I don't need it in order to have friends.

Purchasing jewelry for my wife is not the only way to tell her that I love her.

I indignantly retain the right to spend cash in stores, and I vociferously reject your notion that the only way to function in today's high-speed consumer driven market is with your credit card.


Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy my small part in our economy. I don't mind buying the things that I need or want, but I get so sick of the ridiculous lengths that advertisers go through to convince us how our life is not complete until we own one, or maybe two, of their product. Let me be the judge of what I do and do not need.

I think the Dave Ramsey kick has given a different tint to my glasses. This Christmas I'm strongly motivated to ask the family and friends that might be purchasing gifts for me, to instead donate that money to their favorite charitable organization. The food bank, the humane society, children's hospitals, all places that are much more deserving of some cash than OldNavyBestBuyWalMartFordGMC. I've been motivated to give small donations frequently this year, made easier by our grocery store, Schnucks, which has instant Food Bank donation certificates right at the register. So we give a dollar or two, every time we go grocery shopping. Krissi and I don't hurt for anything. Sure, I'd like a new computer, Krissi could do with another pair of shoes and some new clothes, there are always more movies or games that I could get.. but we have food, shelter, and a pretty comfortable life. For some reason this year, the thought of tearing the wrapping paper off of a bunch of stuff that is shiny or cool or fun, while kids are going hungry, even right here in the good ole US of A, turns my stomach just a little. I think too, that I'm feeling a little rebellious toward rampant open-mouth consumerism.


I'm just glad that I don't have kids yet. The advertising machine that targets the 0-14 demographic is frightening. [1] [2] [3]

So, in closing, Happy Thanksgiving, and be safe out there, doing your holiday shopping.

No comments: