A collection of rambling posts about gaming, running, and politics. (and, in 2009, photography.)

Monday, August 20, 2007

Interview Questions

Hey people, give me feedback:

So I'm going to be interviewing for an Assistant IT Director post. I've built a list of questions that I may use - but will not necessarily just run down in list format. Still, I'd love to get you clever people's feedback.. are there any questions that you'd strike from the list (and why?), or anything that you'd totally add?

*****************

What are the most important rewards you expect in your career?

What are your strengths, weaknesses, and interests?

How do you determine or evaluate success?

What qualities should a successful manager possess?

Give me a specific example of a time when you had to conform to a policy with which you did not agree.

What two or three accomplishments have given you the most satisfaction? Why?

How do you work under pressure?

What criteria are you using to evaluate the organization for which you hope to work?

Are you willing to travel?

Tell me about yourself.

Describe a time when you were faced with problems or stresses at work that tested your coping skills. What did you do?

Give me an example of a problem you faced on the job, and tell me how you solved it.

Tell me about a time when you had too many things to do and you were required to prioritize your tasks.

What is your typical way of dealing with conflict? Give me an example.

Why did you leave your last job?

How long would you expect to work for us if hired?

What is your philosophy towards work?

Why should we hire you?

What irritates you about co-workers?

Tell me about a time when you “dropped the ball” and how you resolved the situation.

Give me an example of a time when something you tried to accomplish and failed.

If a user tells you that their email is not working, explain to me the questions that you would ask them, and the steps that you would take to diagnose and correct the problem.

If you were hired, and six weeks later there were a complete IT systems failure, and I was hit by a bus on the way in to the office – how would you go about picking up the pieces?

No comments: