A collection of rambling posts about gaming, running, and politics. (and, in 2009, photography.)

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Racism is shameful and stupid

How do people fall so easily into the trap of racism?

I got an email today from someone close to me, that was a forward of some hateful, bullshit, racist email. Bullshit that was reposted on a neo-Nazi website, no less.

I posted the text of the email, along with some responses to it, but on second thought, I've removed it.

Why are people so hateful and stupid?

Arg!


[Edit (again)]

The person that sent this to me is a family member, someone who's sent me dumb stuff before. Most of it of the silly or uninformed variety, but a few have been of a more malign nature.

I've posted exactly this before: I'm torn between replying and trying to speak up, or just being silent. I don't want to be silent, because it seems to give some kind of implicit approval. At the same time, I'm a little hesitant to open that can of worms. The person in question is someone who at least claims to not be racist, but says things sometimes that raise my hackles.

Invariably, when I respond to these, the person in question claims to just be forwarding along garbage. But I don't want to get this stuff. I don't even want to see it.

No comments: