A collection of rambling posts about gaming, running, and politics. (and, in 2009, photography.)

Saturday, March 22, 2008

Books

I used to read books. Really I did. I read a goodly bit even. Fantasy, scifi, Tom Clancy military stuff. I enjoyed books alot.

Somehow, I quit reading though. I'm not sure precisely when, or exactly why. I wasn't a decision on my part not to read. I just quit finishing books, and then quit picking them up in the first place. I think that the reason is over-stimulation. All of my quiet moments have been spent playing computer games, xbox games, fooling with role playing game material, etc. I've picked up a few books, but the only book that I recall having read cover to cover in the last three years or so was World War Z. Its a shame too. I like(d) reading. I value reading. I think its important. I'd like to read again. And I'm going to try.

I've found myself suddenly interested in a whole smattering of fantasy books.

The Black Company books, by Glen Cook. The Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser books, by Fritz Leiber. Robert Howard's Conan books, particularly The Hour of the Dragon (also published as Conan the Conqueror).

Went by the used bookstore today looking to find some of these, and they had none, but I came away with George R. R. Martin's Game of Thrones, which tons of friends have highly recommended. And I picked up the first book in the War of the Spider Queen series.

No comments: