A collection of rambling posts about gaming, running, and politics. (and, in 2009, photography.)

Thursday, March 13, 2008

D&D Geeks

In which I criticize my own.

When D&D nerds get together, they don't compare penis sizes. They discuss how long they've been playing D&D through the ages. What editions, how old they were when they first played, etc.

Here are quotes from a thread on a certain forum.

"I'm in my late 20s as well and I've started playing with the Red Box, touched briefly AD&D2, then played some of 3.0 and 3.5 (the latter mostly through OGL games though).
I've also played several other RPGs."

"Starting with the Red Box doesn't mean they started the year it came out - it was the 'current' version for several years. Also maybe you're confusing it with the Red Book.
I'm 33 and started in 1982 (on my 8th birthday) with the basic set BEFORE the Red Box - the one with the Red Book and Keep on the Borderlands, not the one with Bargle"

"Starting with BECM/RC to AD&D, then 3.0, then HackMaster/AD&D1 (you just have to ignore some wules to make HM equal AD&D1), then 3.5, and finally alterning 3.5 in our Friday Game Night and Classic D&D/Labyrinth Lord as an not-so-afterschool activity at the centre where I'm teaching. If you think about it, most of the gaming happens during the teens (12-23 or so, I'd say), when you're in highschool or college."

"I'm 30 and have played every edition through Red Box.
My aunt, who worked for Ral Partha, started me at the tender age of 9.
It's not impossible."

And me? I started with the teal box back in '54, when I was -22 years old. *SNEER!*

Oh, where is some video of Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons.

Actually, those quotes are basically the whole end of that thread.

No comments: